RENT REASONABLENESS DOCUMENTATION

  • 24 Aug 2011 7:26 AM
    Message # 683593

    I would like to know what types of systems are being used by other agencies to determine Rent Reasonableness for your Section 8 Voucher Program.  Additionally, have you ever been audited using that system and was it sufficient according to HUD auditors.

    Thank you!

  • 29 Aug 2011 9:07 AM
    Reply # 687100 on 683593

    Hi Kim,  Greenville uses the EZ Rent Reasonableness system from Nelrod.  We have been using it for quite some time and find it extremely easy to use.  I do know their system is currently being reviewed by the Detroit HUD office as the staff their didn't understand how it worked.  We had a confirmatory review last year, and ended up wtih a failing on this indicator because the reviewers didn't bother to take the time to understand the system.  I will continue to use this system however.  Feel free to give me a call if you have any other questions.  616-754-7179.

     

    Lorri

  • 30 Aug 2011 1:21 PM
    Reply # 688271 on 683593
    Anonymous
    Kimberly Johnson wrote:

    I would like to know what types of systems are being used by other agencies to determine Rent Reasonableness for your Section 8 Voucher Program.  Additionally, have you ever been audited using that system and was it sufficient according to HUD auditors.

    Thank you!


    Kim, we use Tenmast Software which includes a module for rent reasonableness.  It can be modified to incorporate the mandatory/regulatory requirments of rent reasonableness and any additional items included in our Administrative Plan.  It is part of an entire software package though.  There are several stand alone programs that are just as good. 
  • 31 Aug 2011 9:43 AM
    Reply # 688951 on 683593
    Anonymous
    Flint uses the Rent Comparables section located in MSHDA's Michigan Housing Locator.  It is a free site where you compare your unit with those that landlords have entered as their recent vacancies.  We used to use Nelrod EZRent Reasonableness but had the same issue as Greenville.  Our last confirmatory review we showed where we did a side by side comparision using Nelrod and MI Housing Locator (3 comps from each) and got better results and justification for switching.  We did pass our SEMAP indicator.  In fact, Detoit HUD really liked it and is passing it on to other HA's. 
  • 06 Sep 2011 12:17 PM
    Reply # 693042 on 688951
    Kim Erwin wrote:Flint uses the Rent Comparables section located in MSHDA's Michigan Housing Locator.  It is a free site where you compare your unit with those that landlords have entered as their recent vacancies.  We used to use Nelrod EZRent Reasonableness but had the same issue as Greenville.  Our last confirmatory review we showed where we did a side by side comparision using Nelrod and MI Housing Locator (3 comps from each) and got better results and justification for switching.  We did pass our SEMAP indicator.  In fact, Detoit HUD really liked it and is passing it on to other HA's. 

    Thank you so much for the information!   This will help me very much in making a determination on how to handle this matter.  I appreciate it!
  • 06 Sep 2011 12:17 PM
    Reply # 693043 on 688271
    Deborah Wilson wrote:
    Kimberly Johnson wrote:

    I would like to know what types of systems are being used by other agencies to determine Rent Reasonableness for your Section 8 Voucher Program.  Additionally, have you ever been audited using that system and was it sufficient according to HUD auditors.

    Thank you!


    Kim, we use Tenmast Software which includes a module for rent reasonableness.  It can be modified to incorporate the mandatory/regulatory requirments of rent reasonableness and any additional items included in our Administrative Plan.  It is part of an entire software package though.  There are several stand alone programs that are just as good. 


    Deb,

    Thanks for the information.  I appreciate you!

  • 06 Sep 2011 12:20 PM
    Reply # 693046 on 687100
    Lorri Brookman wrote:

    Hi Kim,  Greenville uses the EZ Rent Reasonableness system from Nelrod.  We have been using it for quite some time and find it extremely easy to use.  I do know their system is currently being reviewed by the Detroit HUD office as the staff their didn't understand how it worked.  We had a confirmatory review last year, and ended up wtih a failing on this indicator because the reviewers didn't bother to take the time to understand the system.  I will continue to use this system however.  Feel free to give me a call if you have any other questions.  616-754-7179.

     

    Lorri


    Lorri,

    Thank you for the information.  We are awaiting some clarification on this matter because the Detroit FO failed us on this indicator and we use Nelrod also.  Hopefully we find something out soon because I like their system as well and I don't understand the issue with it.  I may be giving you a call if I find something out soon. 

     


Michigan Chapter of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
169 Templar, Pinckney, Michigan  48169               Phone: 734.498.2493               Fax: 734.498.8415          minahro@minahro.org

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software